Sunday, September 13, 2009

We did it! Erica and I trained most of the summer trying to "transform" ourselves into triathaletes. We swam in Morse Resevoir disregarding the blue green algae warnings. We did our best to not gorge ourselves on that delicious beverage called lake water and make up time. She is a runner. I am not so I got to invest in running shoes. That was fun...and GREATLY helped. I was wearing 5+ year old shoes my friend Val gave me that are a 1/2 size too small. Ha ha! The atmosphere was awesome. We were the first ones there arriving with the volunteers and good thing we are both early birds or else it could've been ugly. We set up our transition stations then walked around looking for friends and supporters. You see, I was encouraged to do this by Sarah Coe who was encouraged to do this by Katie Merten. I encouraged Erica and so we have a 4 generation newbie triathalete thing going. Erica did some research and lent me "Slow, Fat Triathalete" that was encouraging and entertaining. We chatted about the necessary gear vs. the let's-look-the-part gear and found great deals online for bike bags, tri-shorts and tops and cool "Live Strong" running hats. You know our hair would've been the greatest violation going from water/swim cap to bike helmet to running if we didn't get a lid or bandana. Speaking of bandanas, Erica has 50+. I was lent the lucky hot pink owl to keep me dry on my run. I was determined to find a road bike but it was like budgetting for a wedding...either you elope and spend $500 or you go all out and pay $10,000 or more. Bikes are the same way. Junkers on craiglist that I'd end up putting $100 into anyway vs. the Caddy's at the bike stores being $1000. If you ask either Erica or Justin that was really the focus of my race. AND rightfully so because I made up SERIOUS time on the bike after my 15m 500 meter swim and 36 minute 3 mile run. I borrowed a hybrid bike and made lemonade. Mom, Tom and Julie were there from beginning to end to cheer me on. Justin and Eagan had a football game and the kids were with them. I called Justin just after crossing the finish line 1:42:30 after I jumped in the water.





2 comments:

ljsmith said...

I LOVE the new blog! So glad to see it return.

Alison said...

You did awesome!! Next year, right??